Sunday, January 22, 2012

Run For Your Life

I despise running.  It’s because I’m not good at it, because if I were good at it, I think I would probably actually love it.

And I’m not good at it because I don’t care enough to be good at it.  A character flaw, I know.  Why can’t I be like Heber J. Grant, and be crazy determined? 

Anyway, Matt and Jamie have convinced me to do Run For Your Life.  Why am I listening to them?  3 reasons:

1. I want an intramural shirt.
2. I want to get better at running.
3. I have no excuse not to.

Except for the excuse that I am a terrible runner. 

This video accurately describes my running ability.  I am a mix of the dandy and the flightless bird.  Mostly the dandy.  Who wants to run when you look like that? 

The best thing about running is that you don’t see anyone consistently while in the process.  That way, when I stop running after 4 blocks, no one will know that I haven’t just ran 4 miles.  In fact, as I am tall and skinny and look like I could be a runner, they probably assume that I’ve been running great distances when really my house is practically still in sight (one of the reasons I rarely run in a straight line even though Provo is dominated by the grid system). 

The only reason I finally consented (because in actuality, reason #3 above wouldn’t really stop me from not doing it) is because I can count the times I walk to campus.  And since I refuse to be on campus any minute longer than I need to, I usually end up walking up to campus several times a day. 

And I’ll take whatever I can get, because there is no way I could run the entire 150 miles.

So I went on a 3 miles walk today with Elder Maxwell and it was great.  I also climbed onto a train and see my favorite house in Provo.  Maybe this won’t be so bad after all!

18 miles down: 132 to go!

3 comments:

  1. ah hahahaha, that was hilarious! The dandy is quite...well ...dandy! hahaha. I think I have seen all of those modes when out running. i am not sure where I fit, but it is surely one of those or a combo. It is true, you could fool many into thinking you are a real runner if you just run around the block and look winded....hahahah! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I tell you I passed someone yesterday. Yup it was wxciting

    ReplyDelete