Friday, January 20, 2012

Easily Influenced

Many years ago, my sister Kara introduced Uncle Orson Scott Card’s reviews online.  I fell in love.  As I am already  a super easily influenced person, it wasn’t so hard for me to latch onto his opinions and take them as my own.

An example: When I first watched Gwyneth Paltrow’s Emma, I didn’t particularly enjoy it, but I felt like I should because I loved Jane Austen.  However, when I tried to read the book afterwards, I found Emma to be dull and non-relatable, and I couldn’t even get halfway through the book.  Later I saw it on OSC’s list of movies he despises even though critics loved them.  Thank goodness, I thought, maybe it wasn’t such a bad story after all.

Years later I saw the 2009 BBC version and loved it.  Not only was the movie captivating, I sat down to read the book and I not only finished it, Emma became one of my very favorite Jane Austen books.

Upon reading his review of it, I was further justified.

“How in the world do you make a good film out of a story in which the leading character is so amazingly and consistently stupid? The key is to understand that she is not stupid at all, merely young and hopelessly trapped in a life that no sane person would choose. She is only pretending to be content, and her life is spent flailing about for something -- anything -- to occupy her attention and give her purpose.

Neither Gwyneth Paltrow nor director Douglas McGrath had even an iota of understanding of the character of Emma. Paltrow played only two things: social class and English accent. Beyond that, her character was merely pretty. And McGrath made it plain that he understood none of the motivations that would make Emma likeable and worth caring about…

[Seeing the 2009 version] is like having the best literature teacher in the world explain a difficult novel and so turn it into one of your favorite stories. Those of you who hated reading Emma: I can't disagree with you, the book is that hard to love, but I urge you to watch this film version and judge again.”

Or how about homework

“It's homework season once again, and I grieve for our children, whose hours of freedom and creativity, whose time with their parents and siblings and friends, are stolen by the mindless machinery of our ignorant education system.”

And his essay on Snape? One of his best essays ever.  He called everything out before the 7th book.  One of the greatest regrets in my life was not thinking Snape was innocent…

“My own prediction is that Snape will reveal himself to be as loyal to Dumbledore as Harry Potter himself; in fact, I go farther, and offer the thought that Rowling will have Snape give his life in the process of helping Harry Potter prevail in the final battle…”

Anyway, so I read his reviews all the time, and generally they become my opinions as well.  Call it weakness of character, call it my lack of critical thinking.  Or maybe he’s just always right!  ;)

No one really ever called me out on it until Kate and Kaitlan.  It’s become somewhat of a joke between us.  They always tease me about “oh but what does Orson Scott Card say about it?”  Or maybe their just trying to hide the fact that they’re jealous that I always share such great opinions.  :)

Hence this Facebook post.  Kaitlan went to see SH2 last night. Notice her snarky response.

Fullscreen capture 1202012 83958 AM.bmp

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Snarky is too harsh of a word. You know that your love of the opinions of OSC are one of the many things that endear you to me! Love you for always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. his new book should have been at my house on the 17th but it wasn't. boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he updates his reviews about as often as you update this blog by the way. not nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete