Thursday, December 22, 2011

Rook high

I was really excited to play Rook with my Uncle Ross. He and Jeremy were talking themselves up so much. Teresa refused to play because the week before Aunt Becky and Emily smashed her and Jer every single game. I couldn’t wait to put them in their place, until I asked them if they played Rook high or Rook low.

The responded with an emphatic “Rook high” and I knew it was not going to be nearly as fun as I thought it would be.  They also didn’t play with 1s high, so it took me a really long time to get into the rhythm of the game. Rook high is the worst. I can live with 1s not being high, but making the Rook the most powerful card in the game makes it really hard to take the Kitty if you don’t have the it. Ah well. After the first round, in which I forgot about Rook high and took the kitty at a super high bid (which would have been suuuper low playing with my rules) and getting smashed, Jer took over and we killed Ross and Becky all the other rounds.

But since no one else wanted to play Rook, we switched to Scum. We played with 2 decks and John became the king right away and kept that position due to having 4+ 2s every single game. I fluctuated between 2nd scum and practically scum the whole game. Here I am in this picture being 2nd scum. Poor Becky didn’t get any 2s during the practice rounds and then finally got them when she was scum but had to give them to John.

IMG_8768-1

Sunday was Aunt Becky’s birthday. We all went to church in the morning; I was surprised that a non-singles ward had Relief Society/ Elders Quorum first and Sacrament last.

After church we all helped with dinner.  Here is Emily making gravy (her specialty) with Jer pretending like he was helping.  Jeremy was most useful for the kool-aid, where he put in twice the sugar the recipe asks for.

IMG_8772-1

Ross and John making the potatoes. I helped peel them- at one point we needed more so someone went outside and got some more from the garden. They probably didn’t actually pull them out of the ground, but I laughed and laughed when they brought them back in.

IMG_8777-1

Lighting the candles.

IMG_8808-1

I love Ava’s face in this one.

IMG_8810-1

Barbara and John were so nice to take me.

IMG_8814-1

Aunt Becky got a kindle from her kids. She was so excited, it was really cute.

IMG_8820-1

IMG_8835-1

Duke recovered from the snow escapade.

IMG_8822-1

IMG_8838-1

Before we left, Ross took Austin and Ava out to play in the snow. Look at the pure excitement on Ava’s face.  :)

IMG_8847-1

IMG_8852-1

IMG_8853-1

Also, Jeremy has super long toes. This is Emily’s finger next to his toe. Nice.

IMG_8870-1

1 comment:

  1. Wow - those are the CUTEST pictures of Ava! I hope you sent them to the Catrons. By the way, that looks so fun. Aunt Becky is so nice and mellow and loving -- well, the whole family is loving :)

    ReplyDelete