Saturday, December 17, 2011

Deep Snow

The reason for going out to Manila (besides the previously mentioned pros) was to get a Christmas tree! 

My family always had a fake tree growing up, and I never had any problem with that.  It was easy, looked the same every year, and looked a whole lot more full than most of my friend's sparse but real trees.

christmas tree

But when my cousins invited me out to get a tree with them in Manila, I couldn’t miss the chance to go out to the grand old town or get a tree in the middle of nowhere, as opposed to a Christmas tree farm, where I actually have been.

We drove probably twenty minutes outside of town.  Here are some views on the way to the “middle of nowhere”

IMG_8573

IMG_8568

Momma moose and baby moose

IMG_8572

Big horn sheep
 IMG_8564

The Catron’s love animal spotting, so it was a pretty big deal to see these animals.  We saw a ton of elk too.  Who knew people could get so excited every single time they see an elk?  Since I can’t really tell the difference between the elk and deer, I rarely got excited and forgot to take hundreds of pictures for your viewing pleasure.

About 20 minutes outside “town” we just chose a random place to stop, parking practically on the highway.

The snow was so deep.  No one really saw it coming until we parked.  Jeremy and Duke led the way most of the time. 

IMG_8580

The snow was as tall as Duke was, so he looked like a fish jumping out of water. 

The snow was about as tall as Austin and Ava.  These pictures were taken near the road.  It was even deeper later on, but it also got colder, and the kids got sadder, so there are less pictures later.

IMG_8584

IMG_8649

IMG_8651

Thanks to Jeremy for leading the way most of the time because I struggled when I took a turn.  I was glad that Teresa let me borrow her boots, because mine would have been pretty useless in this snow.

 IMG_8627

The worst idea of the night was when I tried to make a snow angel to make Austin and Ava laugh.  I got so much snow down my back and pants.

IMG_8632

After the kids got more tired, Jer and John were nice enough to carry them on their shoulders.

IMG_8633

IMG_8622

As we went on, and as it got darker and colder, the trees started to look much better.  The ones at the beginning suddenly seemed so full and beautiful!  John and his family found a really pretty one near the end of our trek.

IMG_8659

John dragged the huge tree back through the deep snow to the truck.  I tried to help the most I could by lifting up the back so it would drag along the snow better, but I’m not sure I was much help.

IMG_8676

They were nice enough to take a picture though, so it seemed like I did a ton.

IMG_8678

IMG_8686

The kids were happy to back in the warm truck.

IMG_8694

Jeremy and Duke.  These two love each other.  Since the trees were in the back, Jeremy, Duke, Ross and I all got to share the front.  Poor Duke had to curl up in a ball on the floor for the whole drive.

IMG_8711    

What a pretty sunset.

IMG_8724

4 comments:

  1. Either you are going to think I'm a dork or you are just going to love me more than you already do but the fact that you saw moose AND bighorn sheep made me practically giddy. I want to go to Manila in the winter and see animals too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?!!! You saw MOOSE? My favorite! My, that is a LOT of snow! I love that you tried to make a snow angel haha Love you and thank you for putting up with the fake tree. We will REALLY miss even that this year! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been in that deep of snow...so cool! Great pictures and...I would have loved to see those animals too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was awesome! Love the animals and all the beautiful snow, here's to hoping for some for Christmas! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

    ReplyDelete