Monday, November 28, 2011

Sometimes you have to get out of Provo

Two years ago, I had a spanish class with a girl named Kelly. We were good friends in the class, despite the fact that we were only allowed to speak Spanish and Kelly’s skills were far superior to mine.  It was destined to be an “only-in-class” friendship until one day she called me up to set me up with her and her fiancĂ©e's friend.  We hung out a couple more times in the next year and a half, but then she and her husband moved to Pocatello.

They mentioned on facebook that they had bought a house, and were waiting for their first visitor, and I immediately decided that I was going. I didn’t know why, but at the moment I saw that invitation, I knew I was going. Kelly and Steve (Stelly) were nice and not too weirded out by the fact that someone they barely knew was coming to stay at their house, and we actually made it happen. 

Driving up there.  I had great plans of documenting the entire trip, but this ended up being one of two pictures of me the entire trip. Haha.

 IMG_2384

I got there Friday afternoon- it’s a 3 hour drive to Pocatello.  They were both home, so we caught up for awhile and then went to the Pocatello mall.  Or graveyard.  You probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference- there were only about 10 stores, and 50 people there.

I forgot to get a picture of the front of their house- it’s really cute. Here’s the backyard though.

IMG_2416

We went out to eat at Costa Vida.  Kelly and Steve are really funny, and our “waitress” or whatever you call her was crazy, so it was a very enjoyable dinner.  Those two are so in-sync with each other.

That night we went over to Steve’s parents and watched the football game. I loved this. The football game was a little depressing- this was the TCU game, but it was fun to be with a bunch of Steve’s family. My favorite was Stelly’s niece Maren, who is eight.  She was exactly like how I think I was when I was a kid.  She kept trying to get everyone to play games with her and tell us about what everything was going to cost in the future.  I never really got bored of asking her the prices of things, and getting all the info she could tell me about the future. You never know when that’s going to be handy.  :)  She’s going to be the president you know.  I forget what she told me my profession was going to be, but it was pretty funny.  At first she told me the price of the Earth was going to be $1000, but kept raising the price when I kept finding ways to buy it and take over the world.

That night, Kelly and Steve introduced me to “Last Man Standing,” the new Tim Allen TV show.  I loved it.  It’s about a father who is a total outdoors man’s man who has to deal with his three daughters.  They succeeded in getting me addicted, and now I spend a lot of time trying to convince Jamie and Matt to watch it, since the Tim Allen character reminds me of Matt.

Making crepes Saturday morning.

IMG_2390

IMG_2398

After breakfast, we went to Maren’s baptism.  She was really excited that I came, which was sweet.  I haven’t been to a 8 year old’s baptism in a really long time, and it was really cute!  All I really remember from mine was that it was that the actual baptism part was really short. 

IMG_2403   

IMG_2414

IMG_2415

The last thing we did was go driving to the state park.  It’s like antelope park or something, where they go horseback riding.  It was right outside of Pocatello, and it was so pretty!  Pocatello is in this little bowl, and so outside of it is just long stretches of nothingness, which I love.  It was so pretty, but I didn’t get any great pictures.

IMG_2424

I had to leave in the early afternoon, because my stake conference was at 5, but it was a really great trip.  Kelly and Steve were awesome.  Their marriage is definitely one that I look up to, and I hope one day I’ll have one like theirs.  I had a lot of fun talking to them and they treated me like one of their old friends. I’m really glad I went, even though it was a really random situation.  :)

2 comments:

  1. A quick trip is always a must. It keeps you sane! Way to be adventurous.
    Natalie
    PS - I still can only comment from my computer as anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went. Sounds like a lot of fun. Naughty pic of you driving! haha I'm glad you're in a couple of them, though.

    ReplyDelete