Friday, November 18, 2011

Fishing!

When my hometeachers came over for the first time this semester, one of them, Brent, mentioned that he liked fishing.  I immediately interjected my response of “Oh I want to go fishing so bad!” and asked him if he would take me.  He agreed, and I think I asked him about six more time during the lesson to remind him that I really did want to go. That, along with telling his companion, Cristiano, “you’re feeling pretty awkward aren’t you” (he just got back from his mission. Yes, maybe I was a little cruel, but I think he felt much more comfortable after that- he only checked his phone like 8 more times.  :)) made for a very interesting first visit. 

Anyway, I reminded Brent like 50 more times, and we set a date to go, but it was during the freak snow storm of early October, and we were not about to do that.

Finally, we had a nice day, and we went!  We had to get licenses at Wal-Mart in the morning, and buy some more wire.  Here is Brent telling me how to correctly hold the wire. 

 IMG_2295

The wire was really slick, so I think I tangled it about 5 bazillion times.  Here is Brent untangling wire.  I promise that he did it a couple times too- it wasn’t just me.

IMG_2299

Don’t I look like a natrual?  Just kidding.  I wasn’t very good at it.  Well, I started out okay, and then progressively got worse as the hours went on.  Part of it was the wire, but mostly I just had no idea what I was doing.  I had a really good time though!  I had always imagined fishing to be just sitting there with your rod in the water, but this was much more active and exciting.

IMG_2310

IMG_2312

It was a really pretty day.  I was chilly, but not nearly as cold as I thought it would be.  I brought like 20 layers of clothes, and ended up having to drag them around every time we tried a new spot.

Why did we have to try so many new spots, you might ask?

  IMG_2318

Because no fish wanted to bite anything we had.  Seriously, Brent probably changed the bait 12 times, and nothing worked.  See those pros in the picture above?  They didn’t catch anything either.

These people were the only ones I saw all day who caught anything.  It was pretty rough.  Brent felt pretty bad that we didn’t catch anything, but I didn’t feel bad at all.  My purpose was not to catch fish, but to just go out there.  It was so beautiful and early and quiet!

IMG_2322

But it would have been cool to feel the fish bite.  I guess.  :)

2 comments:

  1. yahooee the pics came up today. I'm glad you got this experience. I think fishing takes loads of patience, but it's a good time to ponder, I guess! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun...i would love to do that. Your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete