Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ireland! Dublin

Tuesday we headed out to Ireland.  When we got to the airport, I was excited because this was the first time I’ve ever gotten to go out to the airport grounds to get into my plane.

IMG_8268

We got to stay in a Marriott in Dublin because President worked for them for a really long time, and that was probably the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in.

Wednesday morning we went to ZONE CONFERENCE!  I was really excited.  The mission’s focus right now is Preach My Gospel and so they split up into smaller groups and played PMG chase.  Kate and I participated, but we didn’t compete.  Kate did really well- I came in a pretty consistent 4th place.  But sometimes I did really well!  I thought I did well anyway, for having never read it.  It was very fun, anyway.

We left at lunchtime to tour the oh so exciting city of Dublin.  I wasn’t really a fan.  I mean, it’s a cool city, but I was excited about seeing the landscapes and such.  The best part about the tour was that almost all of the doors in the city were painted really bright colors.  It was really pretty, but made even better when the guide told us that it was because when Queen Victoria died, everyone painted their doors black out of respect “but,” said the tour guide, “when have the Irish ever shown any respect?”  so they painted them all of those different colors out of rebellion.  I loved that.

IMG_8304

IMG_8311

We went to Dublin Castle (every first Wednesday of the month is free apparently) which was cool, but the best part was that there were huge sand castles in the courtyard that were done by professionals.  They had some theme, but we couldn’t figure it out.

Christina's Pictures

That night we saw Riverdance.  I thought I would enjoy it for about 10 minutes and then realize that it was just kind of the same thing over and over again. But I was blown away at how awesome it was.

riverdance-feature

I was kept interested the entire time and I wasn’t ready for it to end when it did.  It wasn’t all dancing- there were a few choir numbers and I enjoyed that just as much as the dancing.

IMG_8436

The Griffiths were so nice to take us to that- I don’t think I ever would have gone if it had just been me or my family.

4 comments:

  1. um, yes, your mother would have gone. Good stories and pictures and I LOVE your tops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what do you mean you wouldn't have gone with the family. we are so awesome. You are trying to make us sound lame. You are so tall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see river dance!!!
    Are you trying to pick up on their moves? After I watch stuff like that I love to make a fool out of myself trying it out...mostly in private ;)

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had similar thoughts about Dublin too. It definitely was not my favorite place, though temple bar was pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the history behind the colorful doors; I didn't know that. As for Riverdance, was there a certain dancer who wore sparkly pants and was overly cheesy? He was quite memorable, especially as my friend enjoyed imitating him. Good times.

    ReplyDelete