Friday, December 17, 2010

Dear Michelle: We did it!

We made it through one class of heaven, and one class of death.

This semester I had two classes, Behavioral Neurobiology (381) and Child Development (320), with Michelle. And to be honest, I don't know what I would have done if she hadn't been in those classes!

P1030294

The great thing about having Michelle in both of these classes was that we had both our favorite and our least favorite class together. So every Monday and Wednesday in Behavioral Neurobiology, we would be full of smiles and interesting stories from the weekend. And every Tuesday and Thursday, we would practice any ounce of patience we continued to have after weeks and weeks of Child Development with Higley.

We’re both Psychology majors, but I started the semester with a clinical emphasis, and she started the semester with a social emphasis. Anyway, we both ended the semester with a cognitive emphasis.

Michelle was not as outspoken about her hatred for Child Development as I was, so Higley probably liked her a lot better than he liked me. I promise you that she hated it as much as I did though!

Good Times:

I remember one time when we were so fed up with 320 (which really isn’t that unique, as it happened pretty regularly twice a week) we made a list with the people around us why we couldn’t withdraw from the class (would go below scholarship credit hours, can’t risk a W on our transcript etc…)

“This is no classroom…it’s a tomb”

When we were learning about how girls retain more fat, and someone (probably Jeannie) asked if that was part of the reason why babies love softness etc… and Dr. Higley responded, “All I have to say is… thank goodness women are soft.”

The first thing Dr. Larson said in 381 was “This… is the best class at BYU.” We probably didn’t think so then, but it definitely turned out to be!

When Tracey said, “Did Elder Scott give a talk saying that or was that Slife?”

When Dr. Higley was asking how many points extra credit was worth, and you said “one hundred,” and he believed you!

When Dr. Larson was imitating the guy on the slide for autonomic nervous system; “There’s a snake and I’m in my tighty whities!”

When Dr. Higley talked about Prolapse, and no one in the class had ever heard of it. We all freaked out. I went home to figure out if it was true, and was devastated to find out that it was.

When we were talking about the sympathetic nervous system and Dr. Larson said “In Florida they didn’t screw around… That was a poor choice of words.”

When we found out that the American Neurological Association recommends that we eat fish twice a week. I don’t remember if it grossed you out, but I remember groaning.

You never got frustrated at me when I would imitate Neurotransmitters or something by giving them high, squeaky voices, and act out what they were supposed to do.

“And nobody wants an Uncle Herniation!” (I now realize that is a real term, except uncal instead of uncle, but it was funny at the time…)

And my number one memory, when I found out you had catalepsy! I will probably tell stories about that until the day I die. “I have a friend who literally collapses when she gets scared!”

Michelle, thanks for keeping me sane this semester! I’m sad that we don’t have any classes together next semester. We should have taken Higley’s Monkey class!

Good luck on your 320 final today!

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you have memories...you usually don't from the "okay" classes. :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are adorable! Way to go girlies.

    ReplyDelete