Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Conversion Story

A little more than a year ago, I converted to country music.  It was one of the best decisions of my life, but it didn’t come easy.  I grew up hating country music.  When Jamie and my mom started to like country music, I mocked and despised them.  No, it wasn’t that bad, but I would definitely complain when they were playing any of that “crap” in the car. 

After awhile, I formulated the opinion I would keep for the next many years, the idea that country music “had the right idea, but terrible execution.” 

And I was satisfied with that opinion.  But one day I went to Idaho with some people in my ward, and the driver Cody asked if we liked country music.  I used that line on him, and he told me that he had been the same way but that one day I would come home from a long days work, sitting on my front porch, feeling gross wearing a two day old shirt, eating corn and watching the chickens run around the yard and at that moment, the only thing I would want to do would be to listen to country music.  Not even classical would do.  He told me that it probably wouldn’t happen until after I was married.

It sounds ridiculous, but when he was describing it, I was fairly convinced that although I didn’t currently like country music, I would be okay with a conversion sometime in my future.  (This was pre-liking Cody, bytheway.  I still felt fairly uncomfortable around him at this point, so this view was more unbiased than you would think).

My roommate Kate liked country music too, and had her own country conversion a few years earlier, so I was being exposed to it a bunch.  I started to soften a bunch toward the music, but then one day, February 1, 2011, Kate played me a song, My Front Porch Looking In, and my true country conversion suddenly began. 

Fullscreen capture 2162012 90535 AM.bmp

My first Pandora country station, created February 1, 2011.

Since that day, it was still a slow conversion for it to completely take over my life, but by the summer, I was totally converted and didn’t listen to almost anything else.  I am more balanced now, but I don’t listen to anything in my car besides country music and it’s definitely the most played Pandora station I have.

People will always be country haters, but it is really is the best.  No one can really convince you to like it.  You just have to find that one song that’s going to convert you!

Happy One Year Anniversary!

3 comments:

  1. You are funny! It is a good conversion to have :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I'm glad it's a good conversion and that you finally came around. The funny thing is that on our trip around England a couple of weeks ago we were listening to a lot of classical music and I thought to myself -- there is some REALLY great classical music I've been forgetting about! Next conversion.............

    ReplyDelete